This is what you'll need:
- 2 tsp oil divided
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp black pepper
- a good dash of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
- 1 tsp or more lime juice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp sugar or other sweetener
- Wakao’s #BBQJack - 300 gm
𝗖𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗯𝗯𝗲𝗮𝗻 𝗕𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝗕𝗲𝗮𝗻𝘀:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste, depends on the beans
- 1.5 tbsp orange juice or 2 tsp lemon juice + 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup water
sliced cucumbers or pickles
cilantro or baby greens
salt pepper, lemon or lime juice
large tortilla wraps
𝗛𝗲𝗿𝗲’𝘀 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗴𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗮 𝗱𝗼:
- heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shredded #BBQJack and all dry spices (or 1.5 tbsp or more premade Jamaican jerk seasoning) . Cook for 2-3 mins or until the spices start to smell roasted.
- Add lime juice and water and sugar and cook partially covered for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture is dry, taste and adjust salt and heat. Add in the 1 tsp oil and continue to roast the jackfruit until golden brown on some edges. Serve this in wraps, sandwiches, tacos, nachos.
𝗠𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗖𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗯𝗯𝗲𝗮𝗻 𝗯𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝗯𝗲𝗮𝗻𝘀:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. 4-5 mins.
- Add black beans, spices, water and orange or lime juice and simmer for 10 mins. Stir occasionally.
𝗠𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗿𝗮𝗽𝘀:
Layer the black beans, then cilantro or chopped baby green, then a good helping of the jerk jackfruit, then cucumber and mango, lemon, salt and pepper. Fold into a burrito and serve.